Thursday, July 27, 2017

American Film Market 2017? Or Have I Gone Bust?


American Film Market 2017? Or Have I Gone Bust?



So...as fall gets ready to roll around yet again, I am once again looking at American Film Market as an event option I so long to attend. The big problem right now is a lack of resources. Yes, I realize the year is only half over so you may be wondering how that is possible, especially since I have neglected my blog since covering aTV Fest this February (I'm going to work my way back to a post a month).

But this year I have:



That being said, the accumulation of these events be their price tags equal great or small amounts, have been a significant investment in my craft. This investment is not only financial but deeply impacts the amount of time and energy I have to allocate to do other things. Time, energy and money are resources in limited supply.

I went to all of these opportunities for one reason though--- I love films & television. I love being part of the process of making films and television and I want to be apart of shaping what appears on television and alternate viewing platforms.


American Film Market in Los Angeles is a great opportunity to be apart of shaping that process as this is where several projects are pitched, purchased and produced programming finds a distribution channel.

There is one thought that I keep coming back to though. These events, including Amercian Film Market. Though they are related to screenwriting, they are actually not... writing, which means they do impact my time to actually push my keyboard to the max as I pound out  a new scene in Final Draft (oh I bought that this year too, add $129 for the student edition if you are running a tab).

While I haven't completely counted out California's monarch pitch & purchase festival, but I have some thinking to do. How do you determine and balance writing time with writing-related event time? I'd love to hear from you on what's working.


Always,

-Danielle W.
#keepwriting




No comments:

Post a Comment